The Nominations Committee welcomes recommendations from ISOQOL members for candidates to fill three opening Directors-at-Large positions and the Secretary/Treasurer position. Please consider nominating yourself or another ISOQOL member for one of these important positions.
If you are nominating someone else, please provide a very brief statement supporting your nomination. The ISOQOL office will follow-up with the nominee to obtain additional information outlined under Self-nomination Instructions.
For self-nominations, you will need to submit:
- A five-page bio sketch
- One-page summary of contributions to ISOQOL
- A five-hundred word summary detailing how your vision for ISOQOL relates to the ISOQOL Strategic Plan
The Nominations Committee will consider these recommendations in developing the slate of candidates. If you have any questions regarding the responsibilities of the positions, please contact Colleen Pedersen, ISOQOL Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final nominations are due end of day 2 April 2021. Please send all nomination information to email@example.com.
Board Duties and Responsibilities
All board members are expected to attend two face-to-face meetings; one just prior to the Annual Conference and a second mid–year meeting. Expenses to travel to the board meeting not coinciding with the Annual Conference are covered by ISOQOL. Two conference calls are also required, along with any agreed-upon project work.
The Secretary/Treasurer will serve a three-year term (2021-2024) commencing directly after the Annual Conference. The Secretary/Treasurer is an officer of the society and serves on the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee convenes once a month via a conference call to advise and assist the president and to oversee the operations of the Society. The Executive Committee may act on behalf of the Board in the interim of scheduled meetings and shall report to the Board any actions for ratification.
Duties of The Secretary/Treasurer are:
- Oversee the custody of all organization records
- Monitor the accuracy and timely distribution of meeting minutes
- Serve as liaison to review bylaws and policy manual
- Oversee the custody of all organization funds
- Work with staff to create an annual budget for board approval
- Review and approve checks over $5,000
- Perform such duties as identified in the bylaws or as assigned by the president
Board members actively promote the mission of ISOQOL and manage and oversee ISOQOL’s Strategic Plan, business strategies, and all activities developed through the various working groups of ISOQOL. Each board member shall participate and lead in the activities of ISOQOL and serve as a council liaison.
Directors-at-Large shall serve a term of three (3) years and may not succeed themselves.
- Understand and promote the organization’s mission and bylaws, policies, goals and strategic plan to represent all ISOQOL members.
- Prepare for and attend the full board meetings for the purpose of ensuring good governance and strategic overview of ISOQOL.
- Support the President, Board of Directors, and Staff to strength programs and services and ensure legal and ethical integrity within the organization.
- Undertake various tasks determined by the Board including service as a board liaison to a committee, task force or program.
- Stay current on issues and trends impacting the organization and contribute to the discussion of documents provided at the board meetings.
- Serve as a council liaison to the committees, SIGs and/or task forces.
- Treat all information learned or shared at meetings as ISOQOL intellectual property.
- Take an active role in the annual scientific program by volunteering as a reviewer of abstracts, participant as a mentor in the mentor/mentee initiative and other areas where needed.
- Assist the ISOQOL office in activities to raise funds and resources for the Society’s activities.
- A history of volunteering in ISOQOL initiatives
- Experience and expertise in the field of HRQL
- The ability to think strategically
- The ability to be objective at all times about what is best for the organization and refrain from personal agendas
- Knowledge or experience with governance
- Commitment to work effectively within a collective decision-making body as a team player
- Flexibility and the willingness to change stances when necessary or appropriate
- The ability to see the wider picture and make informed business decisions in all situations
The International Society for Quality of Life Research (ISOQOL) is a global community of researchers, clinicians, health care professionals, industry professionals, consultants, and patient research partners advancing health related quality of life research (HRQL).
Together, we are creating a future in which patient perspective is integral to health research, care and policy.